Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Spectacular Weekend

So just now, Daisy noticed the virtual fish at the top of the page, decided one of them was a bug and tried to smoosh it with her nose.

I love this dog. She is a constant source of entertainment for me.

Last Week:

Read 200 query letters in one sitting on Friday. Quite an experience. Actually felt my eyes bulge out at one point.

Also on Friday, Chris flew in from Chicago to stay for his three day weekend!

Saturday:

Finally made a belgian waffle that didn't stick to the roof of the waffle iron.

We went to union square. I love it there! Even their subway station is different than mine. There's always some offbeat musician or group playing. Last time there was a drummer; this time there was a choir!

The Agenda
1. Go to Bed Bath and Beyond to get a toaster oven. You can only eat so much pasta.
2. Go to the Strand: 18 miles of Books!
3. Go to Max Brenner, a dessert restaurant that serves chocolate soup. That may have been my decision.

We ended up skipping Bed Bath and Beyond and went right to the bookstore. There are three stories of books, and the whole third floor is for rare books! There were modern first editions, signed copies of major books, and old books. I would only let myself by one, so I made myself choose between three books.

1. A signed copy of Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. Because she's my favorite author.
2. A signed copy of Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses. Because it's Salman Rushdie.
3. An old copy of The Spectator.

I chose number three. And when I say old, I mean really, really, really, really old. Are you ready for this?

MDCCLIII

More commonly known as the year 1753.

Chris bought a beautiful copy of Tennyson's complete works, dated 1902.

We spent two and a half hours on the rare book floor, so we skipped the chocolate place.

After that, we went to the Chelsea market. Home of THE FOOD NETWORK! It's so cool, and it's only a block from my apartment! They have an italian grocery store, a thai grocery store, and a general grocery store! There are at least 4 bakeries, a lobster store, a tea place, a coffee place (generally acknowledged to be the best in manhattan, with the least pretentious baristas in all of Chelsea. Hard to find, actually), two gelato stands...I don't even know what to do with myself. It's too much deliciousness under one roof.
Also got this hot chocolate called 'wicked hot chocolate' at this chocolate store. It tastes like peppery, spicy hot chocolate. Best hot chocolate I've ever had.

Sunday:

The water in the shower is officially no longer warm enough to endure for the amount of time it would take to maintain proper hygiene. Bad start to the day.

Chelsea Market again.

We went to the best pizza place in New York! It's called Lombardi's, and it's in Soho. Because we were just a party of two we got seated right away. I felt so important! And to answer the burning question: New York pizza is better.

Monday:

I conquered my biggest remaining fear of New York today. I went to the laundromat. Not so bad.

As the laundry was being washed, we walked to Cafe Grumpy to get their espresso. I don't know why I liked them before. They're really snobby! Even if I was wearing my laundry day clothes, that doesn't mean I'm not worthy to drink their amazing espresso...which was SOUR. Ugh! 9th street espresso at the chelsea market exclusively from now on.

So...Chelsea Market during the dry cycle.

4 comments:

  1. What??!! You prefer New York style pizza?! I suppose I should actually do a comparison myself. Great book find. Let Daisy know it's rarity. Remember Max and Cody with my cookbook - be good, little Daisy, be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they were called Cafe Grumpy..so I guess it kind of figures..

    ReplyDelete
  3. So in this rare books floor...are there any illuminated manuscripts because seriously I may consider visiting!!!

    PS - HI!!!! I haven't talked you in so long! NY sounds amazing! - and Dave wants to know whatever happened to Cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised being a Chicagoan that you prefer NY style pizza.

    ReplyDelete