Saturday, January 9, 2010

Week One

At this time last week I had just woken up after my first night sleeping in my NY apartment. This morning I woke up a seasoned New Yorker. Only not really. But I'm WAY better off than I was a week ago.


THE LIFE

Things I have learned since my last blog:
  • Chelsea is not a borough. It's a neighborhood. I live in the borough of Manhattan, in the neighborhood of Chelsea.
  • Peppermint tea is decaf after all.
I seem to be experiencing a bit of "life-change shock." After all, in the span of a month I interviewed, got accepted into and started an internship, found an apartment, and relocated to a city I'd been to only twice before (both times to interview for this internship) and where I know no one.

Actually, I know one person, and I had dinner with that one person, Meredith, last night. I hadn't seen her since she graduated in '07, so it was a lot of fun catching up! She's heading down to D.C. for her next semester of law school though, so I wouldn't see her again until May.

I had never seen Daisy so happy to see someone. And she's a happy dog.

At least I'm going to see Sharon this weekend. She's taking the bolt bus up from Philly as I type. I want to go to Hale and Hearty, this great soup/sandwich lunch chain, and try Cafe Grumpy, which reportedly is the best coffee in Manhattan. 6 blocks from my apartment. Yes.

Two things that terrify me:
  • Laundromats. I'm getting dangerously close to being in need of one, and I am intimidated.
  • DSNY (Department of Sanitation: New York). Gross.
THE JOB

Tuesday: I went to my orientation and met 2 out of the 4 other interns that will be working there for the next 4-6 mos. Both interns seemed very nice, and I'm excited to get started.

Wednesday-Friday: Got started.

There's this weird guilty feeling that won't go away when I'm reading books there. I know I'm supposed to be working, and that my job is to read, read, read all day, but there's something way too cool about reading AS work.

When I'm not reading manuscripts, I'm going through query letters.

2 comments:

  1. the advantages of doing laundry at the laundromat...you can do multiple loads at one time while you read your kindle...and you can run a couple of doors down to 'vinyl' for coffee-to-go after you throw in those clothes and have coffee with your kindle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laundromats aren't so different from the laundry rooms at the dorms. No worries.

    I'm glad you're enjoying your internship so far :-)

    Cross your fingers that I get an interview at one of the NY schools so I get to come visit you!

    ReplyDelete